Have you ever been locked out of your house in Miami because you misplaced your key? It’s an annoying and inconvenient situation, but it doesn’t have to be. Making a spare key that you can keep in a safe place is one of the best ways to prevent lockouts. But what if you don’t know how to make one? Don’t worry! In this blog post, we’ll explore how to make a spare key for your home and when you should call to My Locksmith Miami instead.
Steps for Making a Spare Key at Home
Making a spare key is relatively simple—all you need is the right materials and tools. Here are the steps:
1. Gather your materials: You will need metal shears, blank keys, graphite powder, and heat source (a lighter or stovetop). You may also want gloves and goggles for safety purposes.
2. Cut off extra pieces on the blank key with metal shears until it fits perfectly in the lock. Be sure to cut off as little as possible; otherwise, the key won’t work!
3. Put graphite powder into the lock so that it coats the inside of it evenly. This helps reduce friction between the surfaces of the lock and key when they come into contact with each other.
4. Heat up your blank key using either a lighter or stovetop until it is hot enough that it glows slightly red-orange (but not too hot!). This will help harden the metal so that it can cut through any extra bits left in the lock from previous keys or worn out parts inside of it more easily.
5. Insert your newly-made blank key into the lock and turn slowly until it works properly! If at first try doesn’t work, repeat Steps 1 – 4 again before trying again with another blank key inserted into the lock one more time – this should do it!
6. Test out your new spare key by locking and unlocking several times before putting it away in a secure place for whenever needed!
If all else fails, consider calling a professional Miami locksmith service who can help you make a perfect spare key for your home quickly and safely without having to worry about any potential errors along the way – especially if there are specific security features required for certain locks like deadbolts or combination locks which require special tools or knowledge only available through professional services!
Making an extra set of keys is an easy task that anyone can do at home with just some basic tools and materials plus patience! But if all else fails, don’t forget that professional locksmith services are always available too – they’ll know exactly what needs to be done in order to get those tricky locks open quickly without compromising their security features or causing any further damage! So whether you’re making your own spare keys at home or seeking professional help from experienced technicians, remember – no matter what happens – being prepared with extra sets of keys is always better than getting locked out of your house unexpectedly! Good luck!